Monday, December 22, 2008

visit Santa. check.




Sometimes I worry that my kids are getting jipped. I tend to be a little lazy when it comes to doing cool things with my kids. Cool things usually seem like more hassle than they are worth. I start to feel guilty if I think about it too much, and noone likes guilt. I really needed to get to the mall to visit Santa. Molly had never visited with him before, and it had been a few years for the girls. Generally we get lucky, and he comes to us (our dear friend Paul), we see him at K-mart, he comes to their pre-school. Not this year.

The kids got out early on Friday to start the holiday break. I picked them up from school and we raced over to the mall so we could catch Santa before his lunch break. Noone in line. Noone. He was just sitting there on his huge, velvet chair waiting for us. I wasn't sure if I should take my video camera or my photo camera. I decided on the latter, but missed capturing a few details because I was too busy watching and being a part of them. Molly was beside herself. Waving at him. Staring. I had kindof trained the kids before we walked in side. Reminding them of what they REALLY wanted for Christmas, the treasures I already had tucked away in the trunk of Dave's car. :) They were really cute with him. He was gentle and jolly, just like he should be. He kept wiping the girls static-y hair out of their faces. Alex seemed a little timid. I think that was because there were some other kids in line behind us by that time. Embarrassed a little maybe. I love him so much. You can tell by his hands messing with his pants that he isn't totally comfortable. Santa told him to make sure he got to bed early this year. A few minutes later when we were eating some pretzels at the food court, he told me he was pretty sure that was the real Santa, not a helper. "Otherwise, how would he have known I was up late last year?" Really good question, Alex. :)

13 comments:

tomwendi said...

Sooooo cute, Amy. I love that you made the effort this year. You are so good. The pics turned out so great. Your posts bring tears to my eyes. Thanks for being such a great writer.

HBC said...

I worry that my kids are getting jipped alot too. Especially now with all the blogging people do...I don't always feel so adventurous as most people. But good for you in taking the kids to Santa! lucky for us this year Santa came to us!

Jessica said...

Sorry that last comment was me not my sister. lol

Rachel said...

I love how this Santa looks...much better than the others I've seen. Really listening to what your kids had to say. And I love how they each have their own personality with him.

Christina & Andrew said...

I wish I could have been here for this! Man, those are some cute pictures.

mj said...

I think I must be losing my mind. I thought I had already said how very sweet I thought these pictures were. I wish I could have been there too !!

MommyMert said...

Wow, I love these pictures! You can just see the joy and innocence in all of their faces and I am brought back to simplier times. I am glad that your little man still believes. I still believe. AJ says, "wow, those girls are my friends. Can I go to Molly's house?" HA! Love it. Stay warm in this weather. xo

Michelle said...

Oh my. Those pictures are GREAT. perfect. I love it. I also love Molly in that cute hat in the next post below. I love you Amy.

brittany said...

Love the pictures! You totally captured the moment.

Tami Anderson said...

Yay! You found me! I'm go glad to know that you have a blog...and what a blog it is! How do you know Mallory? She is one of my daughter's best friends.

That's funny that Emily just told you of my "mess". She's great isn't she??? I'm okay. I may have more issues with my kidney still. I'll know more after Christmas.

So...my new blog friend. I can't wait to read more and you, of course, are welcome to read mine too. Give the girls a big Christmas hug an kiss from me.

Christy said...

I love these pic's Amy, especially the one of Lizzy with her eyes toward the celing...thinking really hard of what to ask for. SO CUTE! You are an amazing mom and your kids are definatley not "jipped"! Have a Merry Christmas.

April Kennedy said...

those pictures are gorgeous!

our santa was sitting in a PURPLE velvet chair....so NOT a christmas color! and did not make for a great picture!

Vanessa said...

Thank you so much for the get well message - it is so lovely of you! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that you are relaxing after all the hard work! Can't wait to see pics when you get the chance!
Take care,
Vanessa