My Dad is having a birthday tomorrow. My wonderful dad. 77 years old. That doesn't seem right to me. He seems so much younger. He is still so handsome. This picture is almost 10 years old, but it is exactly how I always picture him. With a camera around his neck and a smile on his face. I want to share with you a few of my favorite memories of him:*Phillies games. I don't know how many years we went to these together, but it feels like a lot. It was our special thing. Just us. I have less memories about the actual games, than I do of how I felt there. I felt important. And really, really happy. I do remember a hot dog guy who would walk all over the stadium, shouting, "Hey have a hey! Hey, have a hot dog!" We have laughed about that for the last 25+ years. I swear I heard the guy when I was watching a Phillies game a few years ago, though I realize that probably isn't possible. Maybe his son or something. Anyhow, I want to thank my dad for setting aside that time for me. I realize now, as a parent of many, that is not easy to do. It takes a lot of planning. It's a gift actually...to make all your children feel like they are your favorite.
*Going to the temple together, just days after I had been through for the first time. I was very nervous about it. I didn't want to go back. I really didn't. Or at least I thought I didn't. My dad knew I needed it. He never turned around to head home. He just kept driving towards the temple, then I truly feel was told by the Lord what to say to me to calm my worries. I will remember that day, that conversation, that drive, for the rest of my life.
*Our drive to the Hill Cumorah Pageant. I was going to be in it by myself that summer, so he was dropping me off. It was a long drive. It was very close quarters. I don't know that I had EVER been alone with my dad in the car for that long. You know what though? It was great. We had great conversation and great music. I remember listening to my John Denver cassette tape over and over and over. I loved that we both loved it. It made me feel even more connected to him than I already did.
*I love the conversations we have on the phone. He isn't much of a chatter, so when we talk, it means something. There have been many times over the last 20 years (when I left home), that I have needed him. REALLY needed him. Just hearing his deep, soft voice on the phone would calm me. I love the advice he gives me. I love how silly he has gotten with age. :) I love when he tells me he is proud of me.
*I love his letters. I have stacks of them. I can't even tell you how often I pull one out when I am feeling low. They inspire me and uplift me.
I love my dad. I think we chose eachother before we came. I really do. I hope this is the best 77th birthday ever!
*I thought it might be fun if any of you reading could post your favorite memory of my dad.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JRT!



8 comments:
Dad, I have to say one of the greatest memories I have is of you giving me my patriarchal blessing. I decided to wait until I was in my early 20's for no reason other than that I was nervous. I remember Rachel got hers when she was super young - I just felt kinda like a loser for waiting so long but all you seemed to focus on with me was how important it was that I do it when I feel comfortable and ready - and the fact that you were able to give it to me made me feel so special.
-another memory was when you sealed Gunnar and I in the Washington DC Temple. That day is somewhat of a blur because yet again I was a nervous wreck but I will never forget the feeling I had while you were sealing us for time and all eternity and the advice you gave. I'll treasure that forever.
- Something else I will hold dear are your letters. The letters we receive from you, including ones to my children (Kay included) will be kept in a special spot and treasured forever. Your words of encouragement and telling me I am so special to you means the world to me dad, even at the age of 35. It's something a child never grows tired of hearing. You go out of your way to let me and the rest of my family know how much we mean to you.
- Lastly, and maybe this is so much on my mind because it's coming up soon, is how every time you rent the beachhouse for us, it is a direct reminder of your selflessness. You are turing 77, still pretty much working full time and although you would never admit it - I'm sure a small part is so that we can continue to do these wonderful beach trips we all treasure so much. After all these years I still get a kick out of the fact that you don't even like the beach. You do it 100% for us. We all really look forward to you making the trip down every night, if even just for dinner. You are an incredibly selfless person dad. I love you so much! Laura and fam
You're right Amy! He's a wonderful man and has been the perfect dad for you. He's also done exceptionally well as a father-in-law and grandfather. We've been extremely blessed by him, his example, his wife, and everything about him.
I liked how he put people through the "hot sauce" test to see what they can handle. I think it became a tradition for all those that dated Temple girls. It certainly helped to break or melt the ice.
He has an unconditional love for others and is a very giving person. I have witnessed him doiong great things for people he doesn't even know. He's a great example to all. I love him and his example to me.
Happy Birthday to the man!
Dave
Pretty sure I passed the hot sauce test with flying colors. I remember he did take a special pleasure in making me feel uncomfortable with it. That was actually the only time I felt uncomfortable around Joel and it was for about 2 seconds. Thanks for being such a great example!
from Gunnar by the way...
I remember going fishing at the swan lake. I remember going looking for fools' gold and fossils in W.Va. I remember our outings to New York. I remember when the missionaries came to our home and how Dad didn't force me to be baptized. He let me decide when I was ready. I remember countless conversations where Dad would encourage me as a wife, mother and just daughter of God. I remember him visiting me in Maine when Tony was deployed. Lots of wonderful memories. Lisa
Man, when I think of my favorite memories with Grandpa, I just get all teary. I love that he has enough patience, time, love to make everyone always feel so special. I love that he always wants to go on special walks with Quinn and makes her feel like she is a princess. I LOVE how he writes her letters. She has everyone one saved in a hutch and asks me to read them repeatedly. I love how Grandpa is ALWAYS there for me... to offer me medical advice... to listen to me when I am scared and somehow take my worries away. I love that he accepts me for who I am and I have never questioned that (and I have questioned a lot!). I love that he loves Grandma so much. I remember one time Mom and I were visiting him and Grandma was on a trip out west. Grandpa spent a lot of the time talking about Grandma and his love for her. He brought out old pictures and reminisced and it was so beautiful.
One of my favorite childhood memories was when Grandpa took me to the beach house in Fenwick in the winter! We had a fire and chatted for a long time. I remember thinking that it was weird- to go to the beach in the winter- but it honestly was one of my favorite times ever. The two of us walked on the beach and had a great time. I feel so lucky to have him as my Grandfather.
-Michele (aka Shelly Baby- and yes, he is the only one that can call me that...)
Before Dave left for Kuwait, I was 4 months pregnant, we asked your Dad to give us a both a blessing. In his softest spoken voice he gave us both beautiful blessings. BUT at one point during Dave's blessing he said....'your days are nuuuuu.' I continued to listen but was stuck on the last thing he had said. It was hard to understand the last word. Was it numbered? Did he just tell Dave before leaving me to go to kuwait that his days were NUMBERED. I tried not to freak out. After the blessing I asked everyone there...Dave, your mom and even your dad what he said. No one remembered. Not even your Dad. I continued to try not to freak out because truly we had just been given the most beautiful priesthood blessings we had ever received.
Dave left for Korea and I was sitting with your parents during General Conference at our church building a month or so later. We were watching a movie in between conferences and something was said in the movie. Your dad leaned over to your mom. And then your mom leaned over to me. Your dad had remembered what he said in his blessing to Dave. 'Your days are known!' I was so relieved. We chatted afterwards that he felt inspired to tell Dave that his life was known by Heavenly Father. Not just him but his days. His intentions, his good doings, his life! And definitely not Numbered!
I'm sure grateful for your dad! You are the prefect mix of your parents! (and for the record, I'm really sorry that I haven't been here in a while...I haven't checked blogs forever!)
Post a Comment