Saturday, August 14, 2010

purging...

I came across this beautiful quote the other day on my cute friend Kylie's blog. It has spent a lot of time playing over in my mind:

"Some mothers seem to have the capacity and energy to make their children's clothes, bake, give piano lessons, go to Relief Society, teach Sunday School, attend parent-teacher association meetings and so on. Other mothers look upon such women as models and feel inadequate, depressed, and think they are failures when they make comparisons...Sisters, do not allow yourselves to be made to feel inadequate or frustrated because you cannot do everything others seem to be accomplishing. Rather, each should assess her own situation, her own energy, and her own talents, and then choose the best way to mold her family into a team, a unit that works together and supports eachother. Only you and your Father in Heaven know your needs, strengths, and desires. Around this knowledge your personal course must be charted and your choices made."
*Marvin J. Ashton*

So last night, I deleted close to 100 websites from my favorites list. Blogs I checked every once in awhile. Photographers I admired. Cooking sites. Here's the thing. My food never tasted as good as theirs looked. My kids were never dressed quite as cute as so and so's, nor were their bedrooms as fabulous. My photography couldn't even compare to some of what I was checking out. I was comparing. Every single day. My mothering abilities, my home decor, my kids haircuts, my pictures. I was bombarding myself with things that were of little or no importance. And they were all making me feel crummy.

The wonderful thing is, we are all so unique. We have very personal gifts and abilities given to us by an all-knowing Heavenly Father. Qualities that make us capable of amazing things...things that only WE can do. I felt so refreshed every time I clicked delete last night. The computer would ask me if I was sure I wanted to erase it from my hard drive. Yup...I'm sure.

12 comments:

Tami Anderson said...

Good for you! I'm proud of you. The funny thing is, I think a lot of people look at YOU and feel inadequate. You are such a wonderful mother, runner, wife, friend....


Thanks for not deleting me! (Ha) And thanks for the shout out in the Wal Mart parking lot!

MommyMert said...

Proud of you! :) Im going to steal your thought and put it on my blog. (If its still on the ok list to read.) LOVE YOU!

Ryan and Tammy said...

Awesome! I feel very strongly in comparison when I am pregnant, because I just can't seem to do much of anything as well as I like(except sit on my butt). Way to go on the half marathon, oh and you look great by the way!!!

Kara said...

Love the quote. I'm sure he said that long before blogs existed, right? I read recently that blog reading can be a source of depression among women today for all of the reasons you stated. I guess it's in our natures to compare ourselves with others and always make second guesses! Good for you for recognizing something in your life and wanting to make a change for the better. Life is certainly too short to be wasting it by sweating the small stuff... And I will try to do better as well! Thanks for that great reminder. Love ya.

Michelle said...

Good for you, Amy. I need to do this, too. Thanks for that quote. I've never seen it before.

sarahandmatt said...

Good for you, Amy. I don't have the comparing problem so much, but the TIME SUCKING of looking at all that stuff also isn't great. Maybe we'll both benefit from deleting a few things!

Lisa said...

Amy you are looking so gorgeous!! I love you.

Rachel said...

I love that you SIMPLIFIED. That's what the Lord wants...simplify your life, give time to what uplifts you and those most important. I need to work on that a little more myself...

David and Stephanie said...

Thank you Amy, that was PERFECT!

The Snow Queen said...

Amy I don't think you looked this good in college!Good job.

Anonymous said...

you look amazing! and are amazing! I'm glad you've deleted the things that make you feel anything less than that! Love you!

Malone Family Blog said...

Dear niece, Amy, you hit it on the nose; the things you say are so true and I agree wholeheartedly that we do compare. Well, I am comparing with you and YOU win, my dear girl. You are the best. xoxo AJ. By the way, your bday card is on the way, FINALLY!!!!!!We LOVE you, Amy.