Tuesday, August 10, 2010

1/2...

On Saturday, I ran the Provo River 1/2 marathon! I ran it. The whole thing. It took me 1:56:57. Three seconds faster than my watch said. You better believe those 3 seconds matter, too. I like the sound of 1:56 better than 1:57. :) That comes out to 8 minute 55 second miles...13 of them. I am going to write my feelings about the whole experience. Skip it if you want. I need to write it for those days in the future when I may doubt myself a bit. When I may wonder if running is really for me.

Melissa and I started running together around March. I had been working out at the gym since January. Cross-training, I guess you would call it. We weren't fast, but we were determined. I remember doing the 5 mile loop in just under an hour and feeling like I could conquer the world! I also remember her telling me she wanted to sign up for a half marathon. CRAZY. She told me to join her...and I told her NO WAY. In May though, I started to feel a lot stronger. I was running 4-6 miles a day, 6 days a week. I signed up for the darn thing. I was excited, but so, so nervous. I knew I could complete it, but I knew it would be slow. I kindof didn't care though. It was all about completion for us.

Can you see me? Right there in the middle of the frame. :)
When I came back from DE at the end of June, things changed a little. Melissa was in a lot of pain and was being told by doctors not to run for awhile. She was devastated and so was I. How could I do this? Should I just give up? Enter Tara. Tara decided she would run with us, or just me if Melissa wasn't able. For the next 5-6 weeks, we trained together. She worked me HARD. The loop a few times a week, hills, speed work, and weekly long runs. Tara is faster than me. She has a lot more experience (4 marathons). She has made me faster. By pushing me just past where I thought I could go. Every day at the end of our runs, I would look at my stop watch and say, "Holy crap, Tara" and show her the time. She would high-5 me, then bring me a Diet Coke. :) I was getting faster and stronger. Runs weren't hurting as much. It was a little rush...every morning. She had/has complete confidence in me. She loves me and wants to make me better.
Anyhow...a few weeks back, Melissa let me know that there was no way she would be able to run. She was in too much pain. I was terrified. Really, really stressed. I had trained with Tara, but could I run it by myself? Tara knew my concerns, so she registered. She registered and ran the whole thing right beside me. Not at her pace, but at mine. She could have finished a good 10 minutes faster, but she didn't. She stuck with me. I cry when I think about what she did. She did it for me. The race had nothing to do with her. I really, really love her for it.

These pictures are rough...but I just don't care. I am sweaty, my face is grimaced, my form looks awful...and I don't care. It felt great.

At mile 11.5, I started to wind down. I was losing energy fast. Tara saved her very best story of the day for those last few minutes. :) I remember turning to her at one point and saying, "Tara...tell me I can do this." She did just that. She had faith in me. I was elated as we got a few hundred yards from the finish and I saw Dave and the kids. I was able to really push it from there. After I crossed the finish, I had to supress my sobs. I couldn't believe what I had accomplished. I am so grateful to Melissa for helping to light this fire in me, and so grateful to Tara for keeping it fueled.

And guess what...Melissa RAN IT! She was in pain, and she ran it. She is tough as nails. She really is. I love these girls. SO much.

17 comments:

London said...

AMAZING!!!!! So happy you both could do this.

Ryan + Jess said...

You are amazing and you look amazing. Wow. I have never ever run a mile that fast...you are my HERO!

Kris Tina said...

YAY! There is something about doing something that sounds so difficult that makes it all the more awesome when you do it. Congrats!

MommyMert said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Oh Amy, I'm sitting here at my kitchen table crying. Tears. I'm so proud of you! SO SO proud of you!

Rachel said...

I think those are BEAUTIFUL pictures of you. You look so happy. You should be.

brittany said...

way to go lady!!

Melissa Yergensen said...

Thanks, Am. Can you believe how freaking skinny you look in these pictures??? :)

sarahandmatt said...

Oh, Amy. I am so proud of you! You did it! What a great accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You are awesome!

Kimo said...

Congratulations! That is a wonderful accomplishment! And you DO look wonderful and so skinny!

mj said...

Amy, I knew you could do it. Was it awful or sort of a rush kind of fun? You and your friends look great. Please thank both of them for me for being such a help to my gjrl.

Lisa said...

What a lovely post about determination and endurance. But even more it's about what you can accomplish when you have people who love and support you. I see a wonderful parable coming out of this story. Love you Amy.

Ryan + Jess said...

Wow Amy. You are incredible and an inspiration to me. So much fun to see you smiling and running this morning! We do need to get together!! (dixie)

David and Stephanie said...

Amy you are amazing. You look wonderful! i did 2 half marathons a couple of years ago and you beat my best time by 1/2 hour. Congrats! I need some REAL motivation to get me out of my slump from this last baby. Have any pointers for losing so much weight thus far?

Payne said...

Amy!!! I am so proud of you. Your time is impressive and you look great. Congratulations!!!

Kristin said...

I LOVE that picture of you with that smile on your face. I love the one of the three of you. I love all of them. I love that you did this. I am so proud of you Amy!! So, so proud of you. And happy for you. You are amazing.

What a sweetie Tara is. She is hard core.

And Melissa . . . . wow. Go her! I am so happy she did it too. and in good time as well.

I LOVE all of you so much. This makes me miss you guys bunches. And bunches. And bunches. You are all such an inspiration to me in so many ways. Love you.

Oh--and you look fantastic.