Wednesday, August 4, 2010

napless...

This sweet girl has not had a nap since May. I'll chalk most of it up to being a lazy mom...or just too tired to worry about it. It's been a long summer in our miserably hot "swamp cooled" damp house, with a seriously cranky 4 year old. I love her to pieces. I really, really do, but she fights. A LOT. The older 3 don't tolerate it anymore, and they fight back. There is a ton of screaming, biting, pinching, slapping, hair pulling...all from Molly. She wakes the baby from her naps. She somehow makes our house seem even hotter. :( I think she is struggling with the "new baby" thing...a year late. She was spoiled, for 3 1/2 years. She got what she wanted. The kids doted on her. She was IT around here. She isn't anymore...or at least she has to share the IT position. It's not sitting well with her. That, and she's exhausted. She never naps. Until yesterday. She was in my room on my bed, being punished for the 3rd time. She dozed off, with a ring pop ring as her pacie. We're trying again today. :)

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Napless days are HARD, especially MONTHS of napless days. Emma maps mostly when she has a time-out in her bed now...the only good thing about having to do a time out. :) Sweet Molly...she really is a doll. Hope she adjusts soon.

Rachel said...

And Emma Naps, not Maps! :)

Anonymous said...

That must be difficult on everyone. I hope she adjusts soon! (and naps often)

O family said...

what a sweet picture of Molly. I can't imagine sleeping with a ring pop in! Good luck with the naps. Maybe if she doesn't nap, she could still have alone, quiet time in her room (or somewhere) that might calm her down and relax the family some. We don't do naps here anymore and some days are pretty rough. I wish that Quinn would still take a nap, but oh well.

Kara said...

We have moved out of the nap phase as well this summer. I still try to have E take a few minutes to read with me in her room as a midday break... or sometimes the kids read to her... and every once in awhile, I lay down by her to take MY nap and if I'm lucky she'll fall asleep! (I figure it's a win-win since I apparently don't get enough sleep myself. 10-20 minutes on her bed are enough to get me through the rest of the day.)

emlizalmo said...

Yeah...I think quiet time may be the new thing. My friend does that for an hour a day...with ALL her kids. *In my defense, the candy was gone. She was just sucking on an old ring pop plastic thingy. :)

sarahandmatt said...

Sounds exactly like Jack. I love that boy, but he is driving me crazy! Maybe we'll try a nap today...

mj said...

The"nap ending" days are awful ! I remember them well. I know Molly can be a handful,but she really lost her#1 position, and I'm sure she doesn't even know what is making her so crabby. I'll bet things will get much better when the older ones go back to school and it is just Marg. and Molly.(she will have no one to fight with)The picture is darling.

Lisa said...

I remember those days. ugh is all I can say. And that quiet time sounds like a great idea. At least you will get an hour or so to relax while she also relaxes in her room. Maybe even have some special books that she can only "read" during quiet time. (or something of the sort) Love you.