My question for you dear friends of mine...how do you cope with an infant who hates the carseat? None of mine ever have. In fact, I could leave most of them in it for hours. At least through 3 hours of church. What am I going to do? Hold her for 3 hours? I don't want her screaming as we walk in to the chapel. The thing is, she is genuinely sad, and so that makes ME sad. Sad and really, really anxious. About to explode with anxiety. Noone can attempt to talk to me while she is out of control. I just have to breathe slowly, deeply, and count the seconds till we are home. She is so happy with being home all day, eating, napping, and being cuddled. I guess I shouldn't complain. The cuddling really isn't so bad. :)
Friday, June 19, 2009
tears...
My question for you dear friends of mine...how do you cope with an infant who hates the carseat? None of mine ever have. In fact, I could leave most of them in it for hours. At least through 3 hours of church. What am I going to do? Hold her for 3 hours? I don't want her screaming as we walk in to the chapel. The thing is, she is genuinely sad, and so that makes ME sad. Sad and really, really anxious. About to explode with anxiety. Noone can attempt to talk to me while she is out of control. I just have to breathe slowly, deeply, and count the seconds till we are home. She is so happy with being home all day, eating, napping, and being cuddled. I guess I shouldn't complain. The cuddling really isn't so bad. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



15 comments:
You could get a sling! I have a ring sling and I really like it. Wraps and mei tais are also fun. You could to the snugli or baby bjorn thing, but I like my ring sling a lot. It's more comfy than my snugli. Extra bonus: people don't touch them as much and give them germs. She is a doll! Tears and redness and all. I love her already.
What a sad face! I don't kno what you should do, but I do think that she'll get used to it. Keep trying and keep trying with the binky. Have you tried putting her in when she's asleep? I guess she's always asleep and that will wake her up!
I was going to suggest a sling as well. At least it leaves your hands free and there are so many different styles and options ( I have a wrap and an really simple one I made with my mom). Good luck!
Alexa NEVER got used to it. NEVER slept in it, and screamed EVERY time she was put in it until I got her out. I ended up with her in the baby bjorn a lot. We only drove short distances... and we held her lots. The little toys that dangle from the car seats helped a little. Give those a try. Luckily you have lots of kids who probably wouldnt mind holding the little bundle of love.
Oh Amy- I feel so bad for your little sweetheart. I understand how you feel. When Quinn is sad, I am completely 'there' with her. I can't focus/think/talk/anything. Quinn was never the biggest fan of the car seat. We did have a few toys hanging from the arm. The only one that remotely worked was a mirrored toy that she would make google eyes into.
Grace cried real tears from day one too and also hated her carseat. I didn't go out much because it just wasn't worth it. We would see infants hanging out AWAKE in their carseats for hours and couldn't believe it. Grace NEVER did that. It's hard to remember for sure, but I think things improved at 4 months when her colic went away. Anyway, she didn't hate her carseat forever. Jack occasionally screams in the carseat as well, but he's not as persistent and stops on his own after several minutes. I've noticed that neither of them like being a little too warm, so I made sure not to bundle them up too much. Not sure if that helps at all, but I can relate!
And I've been meaning to tell you that I had a binky until I was 3 1/2 and I like to think I turned out okay. :)
I have a sling you can have while she is still little...Emma really liked it. I'll call you. I don't know what to tell you - my kids have loved the car seat, as well. Just that I'm sorry...and I would be HAPPY to steal her from you at church to give you some breathing time.
I still think maybe the car seat is too upright. Maybe that brand sits up more than others.She just doesn't look comfortable at all...and I guess she doesn't sound it either.How is she in the seat when it is ouy of the car? I remember her sleeping in it, I think...so maybe it is the way it sits in the car.
Mom, I wish that was all it was. Dave has it rigged to lay back a little more in the car. Plus, she goes into hysterics the second I put her in it...just sitting on the couch. I've tried putting her in awake AND asleep. Neither works. And yesterday, I actually tried her in it for a few minutes without even buckling her. Same thing. Oh well, she'll get used to it, or we won't go anywhere. :(
Oh man, that's crappy. I remember Marley didn't like her car seat either. It was pretty bad for a couple of months but then it changed to only when I was stopped at a light or stop sign ... so I was always trying to hit them just right or "pause" at stop signs! I actually got into a fender bender because of it! She was screaming and distracted me!! But then it got better and then finally stopped altogether after she got to turn around in her big girl carseat. Maybe she will just get used it after a while! Fingers crossed!!!! Love ya :)
My sister's oldest screamed every time she was in her carseat, up until they turned her to forward facing (they did it early, because well, you can imagine why). Anyway, she is now an extremely well adjusted 16 year old.
If you decide you want to buy a sling, my SIL makes some really beautiful ones and sells them on etsy. The name of her shop is Raspberrybaby.
Best of luck, and for now, just enjoy the snuggles.
THat's a very, very sad face, but SO cute! Sorry she hates her car seat. I was lucky in that department. I hope you find something that works for her!!!
-FringeGirl
Don't really have any advice but that sure is a sad face. Would break my heart for sure!! I just adore her amy. I really do.
My youngest Lily was the same way. The hardest part is that I had to do carpool, dance, etc, so staying at home really wasn't an option. All my others loved it and would fall asleep as soon as the engine started. Lily outgrew it, but not until she was about 6 months old. It helped when I got some dangly thingys to hang from the handle.
Post a Comment