Friday, May 15, 2009

the good kind...

I am a cry baby. I cry a lot. I like it. Sometimes. I think I may have gotten the tendancy from my mom. She is a serious cryer. I can remember watching TV with her, or sitting through a musical number in church and glancing over to see if she was crying. Then I would keep watching her. My kids now do the same thing to me. I think sometimes they understand why I am teary, but other times it makes no sense at all.

Like last night at their choir concert. I would love to post a clip of their show, but I don't feel comfortable plastering the name of their school on my blog. They have been going to choir practice every Tuesday and Thursday morning at 7:30. It's been a struggle. We used to get them there at least 10 minutes early, before the doors were even open. Now they are scrambling out the door with 30 seconds to spare. Anyhow, the choir is for 4th-6th graders, unless there is an older sibling participating. Then the younger ones can too. Mrs. Thibault (the girls old kindy teacher) is the director. I love her more than I can say. She is kind, loving, affectionate, and she loves my kids. Anyhow, they had a show yesterday afternoon and in the evening. I went to both and cried at both. Not the ugly cry, just teary enough that I had to wipe my eyes. They were harmonizing. It was beautiful to me. I love having my kids be a part of something like that. I am proud of them. Especially Alex who has overcome quite a fear of performing in front of people. Anyhow, they thought it was crazy that I teared up. My niece did too. Oh well, that's how I roll.

Other things that get to me:

The latest Gray's Anatomy commercials
LDS church commercials
Little House
Someone winning big on The Price is Right
Sports - when the underdog comes out on top
The Biggest Loser finale
The Star Spangled Banner

You'll notice that most of these involve music in some way. It must be that. Although, I can cry when there isn't any. If I see someone else tearing up, I do too. A co-dependent cryer I guess. This saturday I get to go through the temple with one of my dearest friends. I can only imagine the tears.

*19 days until my due date! I'm hoping to have this little girl in a week and 1/2. Think she'll cooperate?

12 comments:

jamie said...

Amy, I cry alot too! Mostly during movies. Greg is always watching to see if I'm crying, then he'll say "You know it's not real, right? It's just a movie." But I like those kind of movies for some reason. I love to watch lifetime.

Rachel said...

I still haven't figured out my tears...I go through spurts. For a while I cry at EVERYTHING, then I can go awhile without crying over anything. Hormones?
I get to go through the temple with my little brother this Saturday...maybe we'll both be crying at the same time. :)

Kristin said...

I cry too . . . And last night at that concert was no exception. That first song got to me--their harmonzing was beautiful. And Eidlewiess is one of my favorite songs ever. (I always think of the Von trapps singing it at the end of the movie, knowing they are saying good bye to their country) I was so impressed last night. They sounded so GOOD!!
Jonathan asked Matthew and Allyson at dinner if they liked the concert. Ally was so funny--she said, "Yeah, but sometimes I felt like I was going to cry." It was cute.

kate said...

That is SO fun that you are expecting!!!!!!! Do you have any potential names picked out? Knowing you, you probably already have had one planned and picked for months! I will be excited to see her when I get back. It's been a long time since I have seen you and your cute family!

Lisa said...

Amy we were doomed to be cryers from the moment we were born. Last night was Adam's band concert. There was this special number that he was really excited about and I watched the joy he had playing and moving (they were marching) and I got teary. My kids also check to see if I am crying. Wait until you are at a sporting event and you get all choked up. It's a bit embarrassing. I also cry a lot when I teach at church. I try not to cause I want the spirit to touch people not my tears, but I'm usually unsuccessful. It's just who I am. A crier.

mj said...

Love that picture of Emmy...Why is she crying,do you remember? I think most of our family is way up there on the crying scale.I used to sort of try to hide it,but now I just let them flow.It actually makes me feel good to cry.(except when I am crying over something awful that has happened)

Christina & Andrew said...

As much as I laughed at you crying during their concert, I have to admit that I'm quite the crier now. Movies, stories, and time anyone suffers and then is happy afterward.. I cry. It's tough with my major.. I feel like I cry more than anyone in my classes! I like that our family cries.. we're just passionate people:) I'm excited to see this baby girl.. I'm thinking Memorial Day?

Ryan + Jess said...

I didn't use to be a crybaby - but I have developed into one, ever since having kids. I don't mind being more emotional...most times :)

Anonymous said...

I lost it on The Biggest Loser finale, too!

Michelle said...

I'm not going to lie, I laughed when I read your list. Of course I would cry at my kids choir concert....and I DID cry on the Biggest Loser episode with the Marathon. Sports? Me, not so much. Though I have been known to cry at commercials and I cried today while watching the wedding video of my friend Whitni. The song was beautiful. I can cry like the best of them. Come sit by me!

brittany said...

love this post, and love that picture of miss emily and her little tear. so cute.

Jessica said...

Last friday was sara's kindergarten program and they started singing "God Bless the USA" and the kids were just sing that song so loud and with such enthusiasm, it brought me to tears! I think I could've even cried the ugly cry, but I held back! i am definately a cryer! So I relate!