Monday, January 28, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley


President Hinckley passed away last night. Dave and I were in the middle of watching TV when the breaking news came on. We both sat with our hands over our mouths in disbelief. My mind was flooded with all sorts of emotions. Sadness was one of them...but only for a minute, then peace. The good news of this gospel is that death is not the end. I spent some time trying to envision the reunion between him and his sweet, sweet Marjorie. THAT was overwhelming. He was a beautiful person. Kind, warm, gentle. He was sunshine. I smile when I look at him. I remember him showing up unexpectedly at Rachel's BYU graduation last spring. I was squealing, heart racing, grinning from ear to ear. That's how he made you feel. I will miss him terribly but am so glad that my life could be influenced by his.

2 comments:

brittany said...

I love that picture. I also LOVE the one of him you have in alex's room. I've never been able to find it.

Lady said...

I echo your feelings! He was probably so relieved to be able to pass on to the other side. He spent three quarters of his life on this earth serving this church. I'm sure he was ready to pass the baton to someone else and be reunited with his dear wife.