*Alex wasn't feeling well and wanted to stay home from church and take at least 3 baths. He has been taking lots during the past few days. And he apologizes every time...for using so much water. It's really cute. Anyhow, I really don't like any of us missing church and I felt REALLY strongly that we needed to be there on Easter. But you know what...he stayed home, and it was fine. The world did not stop revolving.
*Molly announced in the middle of sacrament meeting that she was feeling lousy too. She's been on and off for the last week and 1/2. SO, Dave took her home to be with Alex. That's almost 30% of us missing church on Easter Sunday. It was still fine.
*Church was wonderful. Hideko Lee spoke in sacrament meeting. I love her so much. I am very moved...every time she speaks.
*The kids wanted to hunt for eggs as soon as we got home, but you know how holiday meals can be. We had rolls to mix and rise, 3 different dishes to prepare, and nothing on the menu for dessert. Molly had decided on Friday that SHE wanted to hide the eggs this year. She thought it would be a good idea for me to email the EB and tell him we didn't need him to come until 2012. I brought the girls into my room on Saturday and dropped the bomb on them. About the EB, Santa, the tooth fairy. All of it. And they were just fine. I knew they would be.
*I convinced Dave to let us eat our ham cold. Every time we've attempted a ham recently, it gets too dry. And by the time the rest of the stuff is through with baking, it's cold anyhow. It was a tough sell, but I finally got him to cave. It was delicious! In fact, we had eaten half the thing before we even sat down at the table. This gave us more time to hunt for eggs that my girls hid.
*I didn't make the sick ones put their church clothes back on for our pictures. This is a BIG deal for me. I even heard Emily telling them to go change b/c she knew Mom would want everyone looking good for pictures. I told her not to worry, that it was OK. And it was. Alex with his wild hair and non-matching outfit, Molly in her HSM jammies. I still took pictures of them, and it didn't even make my heart race or anything.
*There were LOTS of slugs in our yard. Tiny ones, but still slugs. We had them last year too. Our grass was wet yesterday, so it was ridiculously gross. The kids were having to wipe them off their eggs. There was a giant one slithering along my bedroom floor after we came in. Slug = short/fat worm.
*We ate off of paper plates. I worried that would take away from the celebration. That it would make my kids wonder if they were special. It didn't. The food tasted just as good without the nice stuff.
*3 friends brought us treats. I guess that's why I had no dessert planned. Seriously awesome.
*I decided to give my kids movies in their baskets to eliminate some of the candy. They were thrilled. They really were. They wanted to watch Tangled, Monster House, Monsters VS Aliens...all on Easter Sunday. And I let them. I worried that the day would pass us by without really getting to the "reason for the season." Once the last non-sunday movie was over, we put in Lamb of God. I remember the first time I saw that movie. Years ago at the St. George temple visitors center, with lots and lots of RAH clients. To this day, it is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. We paused it throughout, to talk about what was happening. Why it was happening. By the time the day was through, I really think they got it. The atonement. The Savior. All of it. None of the other stuff is even important when the day can end like this.



5 comments:
It all sounds wonderful! And thanks for sitting by me in R.S. and sharing my starbursts. It was lovely.
Sounds like a perfect day. Happy Easter!
Made me cry....what a wonderful family,what a wonderful blog,what a wonderful Easter. I'm sure they "got it". That video is the best there is. I am so thankful for the gospel that makes everything possible.
A perfect Easter, despite all the 'imperfections' of life. Love it.
This blog is so you. So much why i love you. thank you for sharing your very schofield easter. It sounds wonderful.
Post a Comment