Friday, April 29, 2011

old people...

I thought it might be interesting to post random facts about me, Dave and the kids every once in awhile. Maybe every Friday. Fun Facts Friday or something obnoxious like that. :) Seriously though, a thought dawned on me while I was at the rec. center this morning, and I don't think I've ever recorded it anywhere. Here it is:

I love old people. I really, really do. The cranky ones are fine, but the sweet, lovey ones...oh my gosh. I graduated from BYU in Therapeutic Recreation years and years ago. I really thought I would go into medicine. My dad and brother are both doctors. I thought I wanted to do the same thing with my life, or at least be a nurse. Anyhow, after a pre-nursing class, I changed my mind. I wanted to be a mom, first and foremost. The fast harried pace and late, long hours of nursing didn't really jive with me.

I figured maybe the next best thing would be some sort of therapy. Oooo...how about RECREATIONAL therapy? Sounds good to me. I did an internship with youth at risk at the Heritage Schools in Orem. Not my thing. Then I did one at Cove Point Retirement Center and loved it. I really did. I loved talking with the sweet, lonely, loving people there. It was very rewarding.

I can't really handle seeing old people sit alone at restaurants. It makes me sad. It always has. I don't even know if THEY are sad, but I am.

Anyhow, I decided NOT to work at Cove Point after I graduated. Instead, I worked at RAH! with mentally handicapped sweeties, ages 4-60-ish. That is a post for a whole separate day. I LOVE those people. I still think about them frequently. They made me truly happy.

*The "old" lady in this photo is my Grandmother, Elizabeth Lilley. She was an angel. An angel who would make you wet your pants with her funny ways.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I love everything about that picture...the curtains, the furniture, the clothes, the colors and, most of all, the sweet little memory being made.

Jaime Stephens said...

You need to meet my grandpa you would love love love him...

sarahandmatt said...

What a sweet trait you have! It must be a Temple thing because Matt loves old people too! It's about his favorite thing ever to go to rest homes and clean their teeth! I hope all of our kids get that love of old people.

mj said...

Love this picture. Thanks for putting these old ones up again. It brings such wonderful memories !!!

Tami Anderson said...

Don't be jealous...my husband and I teach Gospel Doctrine at Cove Point. It is the best calling I've ever had. Seriously. If we ever get released, I'm just moving in.

Kristin said...

I think I knew bits and pieces of all this, but not all of it. It was cool to read about this part of you.

I love that picture at the top. I am assuming that is who your Elizabeth is named after perhaps??

Sharene said...

I do to Amy! I used to work for a Wound Care Clinic where most of our patients were older people with diabetic ulcers. I miss that job so much. They were the sweetest best people to work with.