Thursday, September 30, 2010

may I have this dance...

I haven't really felt the urge to post lately. Not sure why. There are details of my life that I desperately want to remember though, so I need to write more often. Details like this sweet 11 year old boy of mine.

He came home from school the other day, concerned. He does the ballroom dance after school program. I love him for it. I love that he wants to wear his "dance" t-shirt to school because it's cool. I love that he doesn't really care what others think. They had a sub on this particular day. The sub ran things a little differently. He had the boys asking the girls to dance. A new girl every song. Instead of pairing them up himself. Alex told me he asked every girl there, and only one said yes...his darling friend Kessley. The rest told him no. They told him he was too short. Some even giggled a little. He was bothered and confused. Not crying, just confused. He couldn't understand why his height mattered that much. He's also wondering when he is going to grow. He IS growing, just for the record. His pants are becoming high-waters, lots of sleeves are too short. It just isn't at the same rate as a lot of his friends.

2 things that come to mind. First of all...who wouldn't want to dance with this handsome kid? He is funny, and nice, and happy. He's cuter than snot, if you ask me. He is growing into a total dreamboat. Mark my words...the girls will be taking numbers. :)

Second of all...why can't parents work harder to teach their children to be kind? That comments about height, weight, skin color, acne, dirty hair...they are all hurtful. They aren't kind. They don't make people feel good. It feels GOOD to make people feel good. Let's teach our kids THAT.

11 comments:

Katie said...

Amen. I love kind kids. We talk about that a lot with ours. I hope it sinks in.

Michelle said...

Seriously? Who says no when you're 11. I would dance with Alex in a heartbeat. He looks like high schooler to me!

mj said...

Those girls missed out . Alex will be a star,he already is, they just don't know it. It hurts so much when your child isn't quite accepted.He is a winner...kind,smart, talented,handsome,spiritual, and funny. What more could anyone want ?

MommyMert said...

Tell him to ask me! :) haha! I will dance with that beautiful boy of yours.

Rachel said...

He is a beautiful kid...and he's going to make an amazing husband one day...just like his dad. I had someone say no to me once...it hurt...a lot. I agree. Let's teach our kids to say 'YES.' :)

Rachel said...

By the way...that person that said 'no' to me ended up dating me off and on for two years down the road...and ended up getting dumped for Carl. :) Those girls will REALLY miss out one day...you tell Alex THAT.

Kris Tina said...

For the record - my 11 year old niece, I'm sure, would have been thrilled to dance with Alex. Thrilled.

laurag said...

I couldn't not post on this b/c Alex by far is one of my most favorite people in the world. Chances are the girls were saying 'no' to just about everyone. Don't all boys pretty much have cooties to them anyway at this age? Doesn't make rejection any easier. Alex is just filling his quota every single person will eventually be faced with. And to me Alex is totally accepted by his peers, he's a floater with a small,core, group of close friends. He reminds me a lot of myself when I was a lot younger. My goal was to be able to call as many people my friend - and from as many different 'groups' as possible. I know the purpose of this post was not for reassurance of how great he is b/c you already know that, but Alex is the kind of boy I want my son to be like. Truly. Love you guys.

The Snow Queen said...

Before I started going to stake dances at 14 my mom took me on a car ride and she talked to me about saying no. I didn't unless I had already danced with that boy 2 times. Some adults aren't kind either. Their kids learn their manners from their parents... shame shame shame.

Anonymous said...

Poor, sweet Alex. The girls don't know what they're missing out on.

Vanessa said...

How right you are - kindness, there isn't enough, can never be enough, of it. Alex is so handsome and sounds like a wonderful boy. Those girls will come running in time!