In junior high, I started lacrosse and field hockey. Oh, field hockey...my long lost love. I loved it more than I can say. I was good. I was part of a team. I was in great shape. SO much of my identity came from my abilities as an athlete. Especially in high school. I ran track for a year. 400m hurdles and the 4x100 (until some teammates stole my purse, then returned it with some sort of urine in it...I quit after that). Field hockey really did it for me. It made me confident. Surely people would like me if I could run fast and dribble a ball around people. I never sat the bench. When I tried something sporty, I could do it. I could do it well. When the hockey season was over, I struggled. I needed that high, that rush. I got a bit of it from church basketball. Church basketball...can you believe that? We were intense. I loved it. All of it.
In college, things changed a bit. BYU had no field hockey. I hadn't played soccer for a long time (my HS didn't have it for girls back then...WAY back then), so knew playing for the BYU team was not even a remote possibility. I resorted to flag football and rock climbing. I stayed in shape. I stayed thin. And I stayed confident in my abilities.
I'm not going to say that motherhood did me in. It didn't. My laziness did. I got out of my rhythm. Over the last decade, I have gotten heavier and farther away from the me I used to know. I didn't lose myself. I have remained confident. I am happy with the me that is me, I just wasn't an athlete anymore. I figured I could go to the rec. center and do the elliptical machine and try to maintain my weight, but I wasn't an athlete. I'm 37 years old. I just assumed my glory days were gone. It made me sad. A little. But it was just a fact.
Those days are not gone. I AM an athlete...even at 37 years old. :) I have lost 40 pounds as of today! I realized on my run this morning that I am strong. Maybe stronger than I have ever been. I have endurance. I have speed. I am still an athlete. I can be for the rest of my life, too. I want to RUN. I want to push myself and get stronger. I want to stay in close contact with Amy from 1990. I love her. I've missed her. I can't tell you how much joy it brings me to see a little of her again. :)



13 comments:
Oh Amy. I'm so proud of you. 40 pounds! That's fantastic! This new Amy is new to me, but I love you both! You are you no matter how much you weigh, but being healthy sure feels great, I bet!
you look amazing!! i miss you.
Ta Da, check you out 40 pounds thinner even with that big drink of water. Keep up the great work.
Inspiring, pregnancy makes me greatly miss being able to exercise til it hurts and love it:( Its nice to be reminded that I can again someday not so far away!
I am SOOOOO happy for you! and a little jealous:)
YAY Amy! It is wonderful that you feel so great about yourself. (and look so great too!)
I love this post--I can relate in so many ways. You are an athlete! Thanks for sharing and reminding me how good it feels to be tough. I can't say how great I think you are, Miss X-40!! :)
You do look amazing and you sound so happy! That's awesome.. Now if I can work on me.....
I've NEVER been an athlete. But you make me want to be one...and motivate me in more ways than one. I love you for that!
Go Amy !!! What a wonderful way of life you are creating or recreating I should say. You always were fast and so very excited about sports. As Michelle said tho, either way you are my wonderful Amy.
You know how they say in Grease - if you aren't an athlete at least be an athletic supporter? Thanks for reminding me that it is much more fun to be the athlete. Nice work!
I am glad to learn these new things about you Amy Athlete. You are really fun to relay with--that is somthing I know first hand. But field hockey? Nope, didn't picture that.
YAY Amy!!!! You are amazing. My goal is to lose 80 lbs. You are an inspiration. We will see how it goes! Thanks for being such a great example. Love ya!
Post a Comment