
I was very stressed yesterday. About a few things. The kind of stressed where you leave the house as soon as your husband gets home and you tell him it may be awhile. The kind where you just need to be alone for a bit, so you drive around aimlessly till the anxiety has settled and you're ready to jump back in. Don't worry about me...I'm fine. This was just my day yesterday. When I got home, Emily met me at the door, trying so hard to keep herself from crying. You know I am a sucker for a quivering lip. I will do anything to fix what is making it quiver. Emily was scheduled to have book club the next day and had forgotten to bring her book home. She was so very worried. She was teary. She was anxious. So...I got in the car, went to the library, and picked up a copy for her. As I drove, a lot of things went through my mind. I wondered how many people, how many parenting books, how many psychiatrists would tell me I was doing the wrong thing. They'd tell me I need to let my children fail. I need to let them experience consequences. Here's the thing...she already HAD failed. She forgot the book. She was worried sick. THAT was her consequence. She felt it. Then I had the opportunity to fix it. I knew how happy she would be when I came in from the garage with that book. I also knew she wouldn't forget it again. She is a great kid. If I can "fix" her sadness or worry, shouldn't I? Don't answer that. I already know MY answer.
I had a few more thoughts to share, an experience I had today. You know what? This is enough for now. I'll be back tomorrow for more.
5 comments:
Truthfully, I dont think there is a RIGHT answer for everything for everyone. I think you need to do what feels right for you in the moment. Perhaps the lesson taught is that she can look to you for help, or the lesson is something you needed to learn about helping your children. Dunno, I think you are doing a great job. Dont overthink it. Love those kids of yours, and I think they are a great sign that you are doing something right.
I've had a few of those days lately myself...when I feel like packing a bag and just escaping for a day or two. But, in the end, ONLY MOM can make some things better and I'm grateful to have that role when it comes. I think you did the right thing...doesn't matter what any book says. If the spirit is there and it brings peace and joy, then it's the right thing to do. Period.
I would totally do the same thing. I think you are such a great mom. I love to see you at church. You make me so happy and so do your kids.
Good for you. You strike the perfect balance between letting them learn for themselves and being kind and helpful to help them succeed. Love it.
My goodness, I was sure I responded to this post...but i guess not. I think you absolutely did the right thing. She is lucky to have such an understanding mother.
Post a Comment