Wednesday, September 15, 2010

answers...


Emily taught our Family Home Evening lesson on Monday. She read a great story out of the Friend magazine. It was about a family struggling during the depression, not sure how they were going to make ends meet. The mother finally decided they would sell her homemade donuts, until they ran out of yeast. She couldn't afford more. The only thing she knew she could do was pray for help. It came. In a sample yeast envelope which arrived in the mail later that day. Her children were trying to understand how that prayer worked. How it was already in the mail before she petitioned the Lord for help. Emily had me read this scripture:

"And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer..."
Isaiah 65: 24

That is such a beautiful thought. He knows what we are in need of, even before the need arises. He sends help and relief before we even ask. I KNOW that this is true. I have seen it in my life many, many times. I told my kids of a time when we owed money for a doctor's visit for baby Alex. We didn't have it. We just didn't have it. We needed $200. I prayed, wondering what to do. I got a phone call from my dad later that night, telling me something was in the mail. My sister Sally had made too much money that month. When you are handicapped and receiving government assistance to pay your monstrous bills, you are only allowed to take in so much money. Lots of rules and stipulations. Anyhow, she had $200 extra. An even $200 that she had to get rid of. An even $200 that she signed a check for and sent to me. I realize experiences like this are not typical. Actually, I think they are. Maybe not as huge or obvious, but to those that pay their tithing, they are. I have had multiple experiences just this week. I won't tell you about all of them, but just know this...before you call, He will answer.

6 comments:

London said...

Lovely way to start the day! Thank you for posting and making even a morning at work a spiritual experience for me. Love you and your kids and glad you are all doing so so well.

Melissa Yergensen said...

Thank you, Amy, that was beautiful. I know Heavenly Father sends us what we need - He sent me you!

Rachel said...

We had the same lesson a couple weeks ago. :) I love your story and testimony that the Lord answers our prayers before we ask. I know that, too, and have been blessed by that principle many times. Thanks for some spiritual food this morning!

mj said...

Isn't He wonderful ? I am so thankful that your sweet family has the kind of faith that you do I sure would have loved to be a fly on the wall to hear Emily's FHE.

sarahandmatt said...

So true, Amy. What a beautiful example. I was just thinking yesterday that our house in Moses Lake stays constantly rented because we pay our tithing. We'd really be in trouble if it didn't!

Sharene said...

This was perfect. It was just what I needed. I missed seeing your beautiful face yesterday!