Yesterday was the BYU Track and Field Triple Crown. Kids from local elementary schools can come run a mile, complete with bibs & timing chips. The real deal. We have gotten a flyer for this every single year since I can remember, but have never done it. I don't really know why. We just haven't. Lizzy and Emily insisted. And once they insisted, Molly insisted. It was a great event. VERY organized. Totally legit. Led and run by the BYU track team.
The kids were really, really excited. They talked about it for days. "How fast do you think we can go, Mom? Should Lizzy and I stay together? How many more days? What if I have to walk a little?" Some of these (MANY) pictures are silly, but I think they capture just how excited the girls were.
Little Molly and the 1st grade girls were up first. I knew she was a little anxious. We talked about just doing the very best you could. It didn't matter of you won, if you had to walk 12 times, if you came in last. It was a MILE, and that is a long way for a tiny little girl. I was so, so proud of her. She finished in 10:38 and a smile. Look at her face! They gave the kids a timecard at the end with all their stats. They got water and a high five from Cosmo. Molly was thrilled and so was I. She was 20th out of 60 1st grade girls. Let me tell you...there are some FAST kids in this area. REALLY fast. I was blown away.
My sweet 11 year olds, anxious for their turn. Gosh, I love them.
Lizzy stretching out and happy Emily. If I have to be honest, Emily is faster, but Lizzy has the endurance. I knew they would both do well.
Emily finished in 7:46, 17th/49 6th grade girls. She was awesome. She pushed really hard. So hard she told me her legs were tingly at the end. She was really proud and happy, and so were we. As you can see, Lizzy is nowhere in sight. They had decided to run their own pace and meet up when it was over. :) I knew Lizzy would finish first. But she didn't. I noticed her walking across the field about 1/4 mile into the race. She was hurting, and she was so, so sad. As she got closer to Alex and I, he told me he was going to go walk with her. He wanted to fix things. She got an awful pain in her side, right at the beginning and just couldn't do it.
I'll tell you what, when she passed me crying, I wanted to drop everything, pick her up, and help her off the field. I wanted to take her away from there. I wanted to tell her we could quit if she wanted to. Alex kept encouraging her though. I loved seeing him love her like a big brother should. I loved it. Towards the end, when there were about 200 meters left, a girl from the BYU team came up beside them and obviously said something right. I wish I could hug her and personally thank her. They all started to sprint. They were racing eachother. In my mind, the music swelled and I was almost completely overcome with emotion. My baby didn't quit. Oh how she wanted to, but she didn't.
There were lots and lots of tears afterwards. She was completely devastated. Her heart was broken. I know that many of you, if not all, would say that it's good for her. Adversity will make her stronger. In that moment, I didn't care one bit about future Elizabeth. I cared about the one right in front of my face. The one who was hurting and so sad. I was feeling what she was feeling. Not physically, but emotionally. She had dreamed for days of going to school this morning and telling her friends her good news. She had built it up in her head. I remember doing the same thing. All the time. I understood her tears. My heart was really heavy. In that moment, I just couldn't fix things. We talked for a long, long time last night. About everything. About how when your body is hurt, you sometimes just can't do it. About what she could say to her friends. About how amazing she is for finishing that darn thing. About how she is beautiful, amazing, kind, smart, funny, has the most beautiful singing voice. She would cover her smile with her hand. The sadness was being pushed out. This morning she seemed a lot better, and ready to conquer the day. She is my girl.
This mom stuff is hard. Nothing is worse than seeing your child in pain. Any sort of pain. No matter how trivial you may know it to be. I am grateful that the Lord blessed me with the ability to feel what they are feeling. To be able to validate their concerns, even though I know that in the long run, those concerns just won't matter. I think what we as mom's say and do in those moments...THAT is what is important. THAT is how they are shaped and molded. THAT is how they come to understand how amazing they are.



9 comments:
I know that feeling as a mom. And in my opinion you did exactly what was needed, and that was for Lizzy to know you felt her pain. Glad she had a brother to lean on and encourage her to finish. What a brave girl. So proud of each of them. Love you guys. Laura
I am so proud of all of them. I love Alex for being that kind of big brother. What an awesome kid. Those pictures of them together are so sweet. I loved what you said . . . she wanted to quit but didn't. Love it.
Also, great times for Molly and Emily!! Super exciting.
I love this race. We have done it a few times. I didn't see any fliers this year . . . not one. :( Next year . . . .
Alex... Well, that young man is amazing. As are all of your children. What a great growing moment for the whole family.
Beautiful. What a special HARD moment for you and your cute kids. I'm glad you wrote that down...
I got all teary when I read about sweet Alex. What a wonderful young man. Yeah for the girls for giving it their all. That's all you can ask for. :-) Love you guys. Lisa
Oh man. I don't even know where to begin. How in the world have we not talked about this?? I'm crying over here. I love Alex going to talk to her, how I always wished I had a big brother! I love Emily doing awesome. I love Lizzy not giving up, but more than anything I love those experiences that they will remember FOREVER. All of them will be stronger for this experience. I think being a mom of toddlers is hard stuff and I read things like this and I'm petrified. :) What on earth would I say or do? I just keep thinking that, boy, Heavenly Father loves us so much to give us these experiences and how much he love's Lizzy for this amazing lesson, and that next time she does it, she'll love it and appreciate it and it will mean even more than this day. I'm a little emotionally involved in all this running stuff. I have learned so many lessons running and I think it's so odd that we get lessons in the hard physical stuff so much. I remember running in the Jr High race and people making fun of me and how my bow bobbed up and down. I remember feeling elated on Saturday when I ran STRONG and HARD and like I was on cloud 9 after 5 miles. I remember teachers telling me how slow I was and couldn't I just pick up my feet!? When it SOOO wasn't me. And now I've stopped making sense so I'm going to just quit. I love you, I love your family and I love that I learned things reading this post.
Oh my goodness, I am sobbing. I haven't read a blog in forever, I'm so glad I read yours this morning. Thank you for sharing this sweet sweet story. Everything about it is beautiful.
Run For Environment on 4th August 2013, Sunday, 6.30 Am. Venue: Bala Quila, Alwar, Rajasthan. Bala Quila is a 1000 year old heritage fort on the lush green Aravali Ranges in Alwar City. 7 Km long run for saving the environment. Register at www.runforenvironment.org
My dear niece, YOU are amazing. You are so real and so wonderful and such a good writer. I LOVE what you express with all the tenderness of a loving mother. I am so sorry we never get to see each other. I love you. Aunt Jane
Post a Comment