I entered an essay contest a few weeks ago. I didn't win. I don't really care though. This is what I think about being a mom:
Motherhood is feeling. It is what I was born for. It is why
I am here. It is sacrifice. It is pain. It is joy. It is a chance to learn.
Ultimately though, I think it is about what we feel. How we feel. What we do
with those feelings. I have never loved anything as intensely as I love my
children. I loved them from the moment they arrived. I love them even more as
time goes by. The Lord in all His wisdom made it possible for me to feel enough
love for each of my 5 children. I never had to take love from one to give to
another. There has always been enough for all of them.
To me, motherhood is allowing ourselves to feel what our
children are feeling. We are sad when they are sad. We feel so much joy when
they are happy. We remember what it was like to be young and unsure of
ourselves. We remember what it was like to wonder where we fit. We remember
what it was like to be nervous, embarrassed, anxious. We remember so that we
can feel with them. When we feel what they are feeling…THAT is when we can
teach. When they understand that we remember, that we are feeling their sorrows
and heartaches, they listen to us. They trust us. I have never felt more pain
than when one of my children is hurting. I ache for them. But when they are
happy, when they are proud…I nearly burst. Our hearts become so in tune with
theirs that it is difficult to separate the two. I have never understood how a
mother could speak to her children or act in such a way that the child would
pull away in fear. Does she not SEE that fear in the child’s face? Does she not
feel that sadness or pain?
The most important feelings for me though, are the ones I get from my Father in heaven. Call them promptings, intuition, gut feelings. They come from the Lord to help me guide my children. They help me protect them. Instruct them. They help me to know when one of my sweet ones needs a little extra. I am so, so grateful for those feelings. When I take the time to pay attention to them, and respond as I know I should…that is when I experience true joy. That is when I know I am doing what I was designed to do, who I was designed to do it with. When my little boy turns to me, eyes wide with disbelief, and says, “Mom, how do you always know just how to make me feel better?”…I have arrived.
I am thankful for a sweet mother who taught me to feel. She taught me to love others immensely and to be sensitive to those soft feelings that come from the spirit. I love her.



7 comments:
Amy this is beautiful. I am also so grateful to be a mother to Elsie, Charlotte, Lydia and Kay. They have been hand selected for me and me for them. I'm also eternally grateful for our mom. Man, does she set a good example to me daily. Love you all!
I had a long reply here but it wouldn't take it. I'll see if this one will work.
You should have won !!! I think this is what many, many Mothers feel but can't express. Thank you for saying it for us. Thelma sent a beautiful hand made card with this quote from Elder maxwell 'God trusts WOMEN so much that He lets us bear and care for His spirit children. I am so thankful for this privilege.
Oh my gosh, I will never get this right. Should say He lets THEM bear....
I kind of love this. A lot.
You have always been one of my favorite writers. This is beautiful and your Children will treasure this.
I love this. So much. And boy did I need it tonight. Today was rough. Big time. Jon is gone and we are all kind of sick around here. Thanks for bringing me back to where I need to be. It is a beautifully written essay Amy. Thanks for sharing it.
Post a Comment