*SPOILER ALERT!* We're going on a snipe hunt. Seriously, one of the major highlights of camp for all involved...at least those involved with the 14th ward. If you have never hunted snipe with Lisa Lee, you may want to. I have to write all of this down to remember just how much I laughed that night. I remember snipe hunts when I was 12-18, but nothing like this. Lisa spends days handcrafting the most amazing snipe you will ever touch but never see. This year she started with a dirty sock filled with mud and dirt. A funnel was widdled and sharpied and fashioned into a poiny beak. A mesh popcicle bag was turned into a scaley skin, covered by bits of frayed rope and hacked up door mat fringe for fur. I'm telling you, this girl is genius. And she loved every second of it.
There is a plan. A finely choreographed number. First, we would prepare ourselves. We all get toothpaste on our cheeks and peanut butter on our noses and at the end of our sticks. Toothpaste to keep the snipe away from our faces, and PB to attract them (???). No lights allowed, only sticks and our snipe call. See if you can hear it. Brrrrrrrrt. A lightly rolled "R" with a high pitch.
Lisa leads us out into the woods. We are to call the snipe...brrrrrrt...and point our stick at the ground, leaning heavily towards holes and dark spaces. Lisa fakes a few attacks. The girls scream. Then the real one comes. I drop the snipe that I've been carrying in my pocket. Cassidy shouts out that there's one following me. She jumps on top of it and knocks it out. Whew. Lisa holds it while all the girls take turns touching, but not holding it. They are amazed! Until it bites one of Lisa and Jerica's friends and is thrown off into the woods.
Seriously, you would not believe the chatter after this experience. The younger believers talk about it for days. A mile a minute. The non-believers laugh. Hard. The 1st, 2nd, and even some 3rd years tell their parents all about it when they get home. Even when told otherwise, they still believe. :) Isn't that what camp's all about?



3 comments:
Oh my goodness,Ill bet your first year girls were scared to death.Will we ever be able to see the snype? I am NEEDING some new pictures !!!!! Hope you are having a great time with Annie.
I remember my first (and last) snipe hunt...I nearly pee-ed my pants! I love this picture!
Good times. I remember my first snipe hunt when I was a 1st year. I totally believed. I might have been utterly freaked out if I had been there with Lisa's creation. No lie. It was fantastic.
Post a Comment