Friday, January 14, 2011

a night on the ice...

Lizzy and Emily had a brilliant plan. They had been to an ice skating birthday party a few weeks earlier and wanted one of their own. They decided to forego their big party this year, to go skating while Rachel (my sister) and Annie were in town. We'd go as a family, Christy included, and call it a party! I was cool with that. Less planning for me, you know? The girls asked me every single day to give them a countdown to the big night. Dates changed a few times due to stormy weather back east holding up Annie and Rachel. Anyhow...they finally made it here, and we finally made it there.


Dave decided not to skate, but to watch Margaret from the upper deck. He is a gem. He really is. I KNOW that wasn't fun for 2 1/2 hours. It just wasn't. It took us awhile to get out on the ice. The kids were really nervous, and there were no walker/helper thingies left. Too crowded. They held onto the wall for dear life, while I tried to sort out a way to help them. Rachel and Annie had headed around the rink.

After 15 minutes...we had gotten 1/4 of the way around. I was frustrated. I did NOT want to spend all that $ to have my kids clinging and crying. I kept trying to teach them, to have them watch my feet. They were sad and scared. Some birthday party. In their defense...it IS ice, and it IS slippery. :) I was really sad for the girls. They wanted it to be just like last time, using the walkers, making their way around...slowly but surely. Rachel sensed my frustration and spent the rest of the time helping one of my 4 kids around the rink. She was an angel.

Once the place cleared out a bit around dinner time, lots of helpers became available. Molly spent the next 2 hours just like this. Cruising and smiling from ear to ear. She never fell. Those things were a lifesaver.

Lizzy liked to come out from the wall, but did NOT like to be let go of. She wanted to hold my hand the entire time. The funny thing is, she really didn't need to. She was quite steady. At one point, I got a little over-confident in her abilities. I started to go faster. She fell. She cried. I felt like a loser.

Emily like the hand holding thing too. Alex, bless his heart, had a hard time with the whole thing. I kept telling him to keep his feet under his body. I also told him about the toepicks. Found out an hour into things that his skates had no toepicks. Sad. He tried to go fast with the little helper, but fell and hurt his ankle. I could see how frustrated he was getting and it worried me. He was sad and embarassed. I love him. Once we exchanged them and got him a helper, he took off. He was so happy.

See what I mean?

I'm only posting this picture because I love Emily in it. She was so concerned for him. She helped him up and waited to make sure he was ok. She is a little mother. A caring little mother.

As a sidenote, that girl behind Molly was a mess. As I was circling with barely balanced Elizabeth, this twit came up behind me and almost fell. To stop herself, she grabbed onto my shoulders and held on for a good 30 seconds. YES, she nearly pulled me down. Never even apologized, just skated off once she got her footing. Whatever.

Lizzy had a smile plastered on her face the whole night. She now says ice skating is her favorite hobby.

Rachel and Annie looking beautiful. These 2 used to be close to the same size. Now Annie TOWERS over Emily. It's really cute. Annie's aunts on her dad's side are close to 6 ft. She will surely follow in their footsteps. She's about to pass her 5 ft. tall mother. :) I LOVE Christy in this picture.

Christy and my girl...my snotty, drippy girl. Christy has since moved back to DE. I don't really want to think about it right now...so I won't.

The whole gang. It really was a blast. I am sure we will be headed back soon. Happy un-birthday party, Lizzy and Emmy!

14 comments:

Michelle said...

A birthday they won't forget, at least!

Kris Tina said...

I have composed 5 different comments and none of them are decent so I'll just say this - Happy Birthday to those sassy ten year olds.

Tami Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tami Anderson said...

You know...in Canada, we didn't have those wimpy pushy thingys! Our parents just threw us on the ice a week after birth (kind of like how moms throw their babies into the water!) and let us fend for ourselves!



Just kidding. That looks like a wonderful evening and it makes me want to go ice skating and see if I still remember how to do a double axel.


Just kidding again, I've never done a double axel.

Tami Anderson said...

Sorry about the first comment being removed. For some reason, blogger posted my comment twice.

emlizalmo said...

That is hilarious! I thought about just leaving them out there and letting them figure things out, but I changed my mind. :)

mj said...

These are such sweet pictures. I know how you must have felt at first. Totally,totally frustrated. Glad things turned out well.The walker things look like a great idea. Wish they had them when Iwas young.

Rachel said...

I love your kids and Michelle's right...the parties that had the most hiccups seem to be the most memorable (and make the best stories) later on in life.

London said...

Looks sooo fun! I haven't been skating in ages and might have to hit up the rink because you are your cute kiddies make it look so fun.

Lisa said...

I had to smile when I read this. Sometimes the best ideas don't go exactly as planned.... I remember the frustration, yet you stuck to it and it turned out good. :-)

Kristin said...

I grew up ice skating on the pond by our house and at the local rink. Loved it then. Haven't done it in years though. Sure I would be on my bum pretty much the whole time. Those helper things sure are great. i never saw those before. That is amazing how they just took off with those things. Rachel has grown up so much! She is lovely. Emily's hair is so long. Dave is such a sweetheart too. I like that picture of you and your sister too. All of them are great. Give sweet Alex a hug for me. He is such a good sport. What a fun night. Those girls had an awesome 10 year celebration.

Christina & Andrew said...

This was such a fun night... I love your family so much. So glad I got to go with you!

The Snow Queen said...

Yeah Happy Birthday!

Finally you got the Header Changed. I counted your kids on my fingers every time I come to your blog to see if I had it right.

trudihyer said...

Amy, so fun to see your cute family. They are all growning up. How do you find time to do such great blogs? Wish we could get together more often!