Saturday, March 17, 2012
my boy...
He's a teenager. An actual teenager. 13 years old. He said he didn't really feel much difference today though. He still feels 12. I took him on a date yesterday after school. We went out to lunch first. Anywhere he wanted in this whole valley and he chose The Pizza Factory for their breadsticks. Alex and I have great conversations together. I really enjoy being around him. Just him. I was excited all morning waiting for our time together. I'm not sure that he was as excited as me, but I'd like to think so.
After lunch, we went to his first (aside from HP) pg-13 movie. Sherlock Holmes. I knew he would love it...and he did. He has already downloaded the theme song. I love that about Alex. He gets REALLY passionate and obsessive about things. I think it is so great that he loves instrumental/soundtrack stuff. He likes to listen while he writes his stories. I think they help his imagination feel more free. We walked around Walmart for a little while after the movie. He had received money from my parents and a friend at school and wanted to see if there was anything he felt like buying. He was bummed that there wasn't. He was almost willing to spend it on anything...just to spend it. We ran into a (girl) friend from school while we were there. Kessley. Cute, little Kessley. He was too embarrassed to talk to her, so I did. Then I told him that even if he was embarrassed, he still needed to say hi. I wanted him to understand that it could be seen as rude or potentially hurt her feelings. Then we talked about saving your money until you find something you REALLY want. Alex is reasonable. He and I can discuss things like this and he understands. He really does. He wants to be nicer. He wants to be more responsible. He wants to be good.
I think the happiest thing of the day for me was seeing him light up when he got home to his sisters. We all watched Tin-Tin together and had homemade cazookies. :) We never got around to pictures. I felt sad about it for a few minutes, then let it go. He has balloons, and next week, when the weather is nicer, we'll go out together without them, and have our own little teenage photoshoot. What a handsome, great kid. I am so blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
sweet, handsome alex...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! we love and adore you so much. cant wait to see you in about 2 weeks!! You better dust off your Puerto Rico and prepare to get schooled...;) Love you!!! aunt laura and fam
I think that day sounds WONDERFUL, Amy. Once in awhile, you can still hear Sherlock Holmes theme music being hummed around our house...my favorite movies EVER. :) LOVE Cazookies...mmm. I think he loved it, even when you have your doubts (like we all do) about whether it's 'enough.' Now that I'm all grown up, my memories consist of the TIME with my parents and not so much the gifts. Sounds cliche, but it's absolutely true. I think he's such an amazing kid!
Happy birthday Alex! That sounds like a perfect date. How fun. I need to do that more with my kids, one-on-one time. You are such a great mom. You can tell in how amazing your kids are!
What a great birthday! Also - for the record you don't look old enough to have a 13 year old. Not that it matters - but it's true.
Happy Birthday, Mr. Alex! It sounds like the perfect day. You're a pretty great kid. You have pretty great parents, and it sounds like you had a pretty great day! Sure happy to you and your talented self!
Yes, he is fantastic. Sounds like it was a fantastic day. And that picture of him, oh Amy!!!!!! Too, too darling.
Happy Birthday Alex! We love you.
Post a Comment